Thursday, November 21, 2013

Beauty is Something, Something

In the words of Sophia Loren, "Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful."

I couldn't agree more. So, let's talk about what beauty means to us. I think we, the media's meat puppets, tend to forget that beauty is, and I daresay should be, subjective. What do I think is beautiful? Being different. Deviation from the norm is a wonderful, and extremely attractive attribute. I don't care if it's because of the way you look, the way you talk, the fact that you have a deep-rooted obsession with Beauchene  skulls (that would be extremely sexy, in fact), or that you have an atypical way of thinking. These are all beautiful things. I realize that pretty much everything is the norm in a specific circle, but I guess I'm thinking along the lines of deviating from generally accepted norms. Fringe Folks are hot!

If we move away from people, and into art- beauty to me is the typical with a smattering of crazy, disturbing, and/or absurd. Nothing is more beautiful to me than the combination of elements or feeling that a good, fucked up piece of art can hold or elicit. Think Van Gogh 's Smoking Skull, Theodore Gericault's Anatomical Pieces works, basically anything Pieter Bruegel ever created, Heironymous Bosch, Francis Bacon, etc. There is so much beauty to be found in the grotesque! I feel like this goes toward explaining my obsession with oddities, anomalies, and general monstrosities. I have similar feelings regarding other forms of art, not just paintings. Music, writing, all that jazz.

I think that when we think of beauty, we tend to place far too much emphasis on societal conceptions of it rather than giving into our own instincts and desires. I say go with it. Embrace your weird, fly your freak flag high, and be proud of what makes you different!

I don't think I fit my society's version of beautiful, but am I beautiful? Really? Fuck yeah, I am! I don't care if I'm not supposed to be short, or have wide hips, or thick thighs, tattoos or body piercings, or whether or not you like the way I dress, or whatever. I don't care if my opinions aren't always popular, or if there are things I'm not supposed to talk about. It doesn't matter that my tastes and various proclivities may not be widely accepted because I am fucking fabulous, and I damn well know it! I am smart, I am generous, and I am rather interesting all around, if I may say so.

I think this is a really interesting topic,so I'd like to know- what makes you beautiful? What does beauty mean to you?

**EDIT**
I will also cop to being goofy, occasionally lazy, totally lacking a brain-mouth filter system, random, and charmingly quirky. But that's all okay, cuz I'm a god damn classy lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment